Leadgate is a village in County Durham, in the North East of England. It is situated to the north-east of Consett. The Roman road Dere Street runs straight through the middle of Leadgate, today this is known as Durham Road
and on the Ordnance Survey as the B6309.
Leadgate, like most towns and villages in the North East of England, grew from a small agricultural settlement in the late 16th Century to become an important industrial village. In the middle of the 19th Century Leadgate’s main working environment was Coal Mining and Metal Working.
First attested in 1590 Leadgate (Saxon Hildgaet or Swing Gate) the village consisted of little more than a house and farm in what is now the Brooms area of the village. Others believe that it was acually a "Toll Gate" were Lead Miners paid to access the mines, they may or may not be correct but the important thing is that opinion leads to debate which in turn leads to research and discovery.
"Leadgate, a village and a chapelry in Lanchester parish, Durham. The village stands near Watling Street, 1 mile NE of Carrhouse r. station and 2½ ESE of Shotley-Bridge at the boundary with Northumberland; and has a post office ‡ under Gateshead. —The chapelry was constituted in 1863. Pop., 3, 413. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in coal mining and iron working. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the French pointed style, of the 13th century. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics".
"Leadgate, a village and an ecclesiastical parish within the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham. The village stands on the great North Road, on Watling Street, and is about 2 ½ miles from Consett station on the N.E.R., and 2 ¼ ESE of Shotley Bridge, the boundary line between Durham and Northumberland. In 1895 the N.E.R. constructed a line of railway, with a station at Leadgate, which begins at Consett station and crosses Annfield Plain, joining the Team Valley line at Birtley. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1863, and includes the village and township of Iveston, the hamlet of Crookhall, and part of the townships of Greencroft and Medomsley. Population, 4724. It is governed by a local board, is well supplied with water, and its elevated position makes it very bracing and healthy. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in coal-mining and iron or steel working. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £285 with residence. Patrons, the Crown, and Bishop of Durham alternately. The church is a stone edifice in the Early English style, and was erected in 1867. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels".