Leadgate Heritage Project
In 2018 Leadgate Community History Group undertook a project of celebrating our village heritage, using funds raised from our talks we purchased 3 "Heritage Plaques" via Shotley Bridge Village Trust. These will eventually
be attached to 3 sites (locations) of historic interest in our village.
We will look at extending the range in 2019
Thanks to Land of Oak & Iron and support from the Shotley Bridge Village Trust
The Hall had an interesting early history, starting life as a Free Methodist Chapel before becoming a Joiners Shop then a Grocers Shop before becoming Eden Miners Hall in 1875. Although the building is clearly marked as the "Miners Hall" on the 1986 map of Leadgate Railway Station the building is quoted on other sources as being built in 1924, this may well refer to a modernisation or a rebuild.Read More
The Railways came to Leadgate in 1896 as part of the North Eastern Railway network. Situated on land that is now occupied by St Ives Gardens, it carried passengers and freight up to 1955 when passenger services were discontinued, the freight line remained in use until 1967 when the station was finally closed.Read More
Leadgate Industrial and Provident Society came into being in the Spring of 1870 and their first minuted meeting took place on the 11th April 1870. At that meeting officials were appointed, and the Society was launched. Initially they store was established in a room within the Golden Lion Hotel on Front Street however, due to the success and its popularity will the people of Leadgate, larger premisses were soon needed. Over the next few years the store moved several times but continued to grow. The search for a larger store continued and the committee took the decision to build on some land that had been purchased from the Consett Iron Company. The works were completed and the new store, located on the west end of the town, opened its doors in December 1893.Read More